Thursday, May 6, 2010

The River



When you think of the River, think of me.
I'll be there smiling in the ripples of it's sun-drenched waters.
I'll be there in the blue of it's peaceful vastness.
I'll be there still watching the ships go by in my favorite summer garb.
When you think of the River, think of all the glorious times it has brought us.
Think of the cottage openings and closings we have spent together.
Think of the holidays spent there as well as the ones we longed to spend there.
Think of the warm nights, fast-moving storms and sun-filled days.
The River has become such a wonderful part of me, of us, of family. And, at some point in time--me, us, we, will all become one.
So, when you think of the River, smile and think of me, of us, of family.
See you on the River.
Paula Chamberlain 8/07

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, wonderful and so true. Reading it brought (happy) tears to my eyes. It's everything George would say about "The River". Anyone who knew him would agree. The Cole family will see you all soon!

minkisland said...

Wow. Reading that poem was a WONDERFUL way to start my mother's day at the river. The Navarra family is looking forward to all our mink island friends returning and celebrating the river.

Anonymous said...

As I find my self on a much bigger Island, I long for Mink. And though I find happiness here in NYC, it doesn't compare to the joy and love I felt on that piece of hevean sticking out of the water. And it makes me sad and happy at the same time when I know there is no place like it.
-Brian